Showbiz & Entertainment
Saint Obi: 14 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About The Late Actor
Nollywood actor, Obinna Nwafor aka Saint Obi reportedly passed on May 7 after battling with an undisclosed prolonged ailment. He died at his sister’s home in Jos, Plateau State.
According to reports, the disagreement between his siblings is the reason why the death of the 57-year-old thespian took almost a week for the announcement to be made official.
Further details surrounding his death has been kept under wraps.
However, here are 20 things you probably never knew about the late Nollywood veteran.
READ ALSO: 10 Nollywood Stars Who Died In 2021
- The veteran actor, producer, and director was born on November 16, 1965.
- Though from Imo State, Obi grew up in Jos, Plateau State, as the only son in a family of nine children.
- Saint Obi completed his primary, secondary, and tertiary education in Jos, Plateau State.
- Obi had always wanted to be an actor since he was a child, inspired by foreign films.
- He graduated from the University of Jos in 1991 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Theatre Arts.
- Saint Obi first appeared in the Nigerian film industry, Nollywood, in 1995.
- He rose to prominence in 1996 after appearing in a popular NTA commercial series.
- He has appeared in over 250 Nollywood films, including Candle Light, Goodbye Tomorrow, Heart of Gold, Executive Crime, State of Emergency, War Front, and The President Must Not Die.
- In 2001, Obi produced his first movie titled “Take Me to Maama”, where he starred as Jerry, alongside Ebi Sam, Rachel Oniga, Nse Abel and Enebeli Elebuwa.
- A few years ago, the actor retired from acting to focus on the production and business aspects of the entertainment industry, among other things.
- Obi is the Founder and CEO of Agwhyte International Limited, a production, talent and brand management, and public relations firm based in Nigeria and the United States of America.
- He is fluent in English, Igbo, Hausa, and a little Yoruba.
- He is also a complete athlete, having competed in football and basketball tournaments for Plateau State. He also likes to work out.
14. Saint Obi has received numerous film accolades, including Best Actor in Nigeria at the African Movie Academy Awards, Best Actor in Africa at the Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards, Most Prominent Actor in Nigeria at the City People Entertainment Awards, and Best Actor in a Leading Role at the Nollywood Movie Awards.
READ ALSO: I Am 43% Nigerian – Meghan Markle Reveals