A number of federal airports now bear new names honouring prominent Nigerians thanks to the President Bola Tinubu-led Federal Government.
This is stated in a memo from the Federal Ministry of Aviation dated June 1, 2023, and signed by the Director of Airport Operations, Mrs. Joke Olatunji.
According to the announcement provided on Monday, the President renamed the airports “as part of reforms of the Aviation sector”.
The Nasarawa Airport honors the late founder of the Sokoto Caliphate, Usman Dan Fodio, while the airports in Port Harcourt and Maiduguri are named for the late nationalists Obafemi Awolowo and Muhammadu Buhari, respectively.
Also, the Benin Airport was renamed after the late Oba of Benin, Oba Akenzua II, Ebonyi Airport after the late Senate President Chuba Okadigbo, and the Ibadan Airport after the late Premier of the old Western Region, Ladoke Akintola.
See the full list below:
1. Akure Airport – Olumuyiwa Bernard Aliu
2. Benin Airport – Oba Akenzua II
3. Dutse Airport – Muhammad Nuhu Sanusi
4. Ebonyi Airport – Chuba Wilberforce Okadigbo
5. Gombe Airport – Brigadier Zakari Maimalari
6. Ibadan Airport – Samuel Ladoke Akintola
7. Ilorin Airport – Gen. Tunde Idiagbon
8. Kaduna Airport – Hassan Usman Katsina
9. Maiduguri Airport – Gen. Mumammadu Buhari
10. Makurdi Airport – Joseph Sarwuan Tarka
11. Minna Airpor – Mallam Abubakar Imam
12. Nassarawa Airport – Sheikh Usman Dan Fodio
13. Osubi Airport – Alfred Diete Spiff
14. Port Harcourt Airport – Obafemi Jeremiah Awolowo
15. Yola Airport – Lamido Aliyu Mustapha